HOW TO PETITION TO REGIONALS
ALL INFORMATION CONCERNING PETITIONING IS FOUND IN RULES & POLICIES, p. 55-56.
Gymnasts may be petitioned to L. 8, 9, or 10 Regionals because of illness, injury, or a family tragedy (e.g., death, natural disaster).
A gymnast may compete in her State Meet in 1, 2, or 3 events, but not all four and still petition. (Touching out is NOT considered competing that event.)
- At the State Meet the gymnast must be entered in the Regional Meet and the fees must be paid.
- Coaches must notify the Regional Administrative Committee Chair (Bobbi Montanari) by fax or email the Monday after the State meet of any athletes they intend to petition to Regionals. Her information (email, etc.) is in Rules and Policies on p. xi and on Region5.com.
- The petition is due to me, Hilary Carlson, and also to the State Chair, (not postmarked, but due) by the Wednesday after the State Meet. It may be faxed, emailed, or sent Express Mail. It must include:
- The petition form from the coach, found on the USAG and Region 5 websites.
- A photocopy of one pre-state sanctioned meet from the current season or the previous year’s Regional, Easterns, or National meet with a score at least 1.0 more than the qualifying score. (Levels 8, 9 and 10 need at least a 35.0) The qualifying score for an event specialist is 9.0. Obviously the score must be at the Level to which she is petitioning. Do not highlight scores if you are faxing it. The highlight blackens the score and name.
- A physician’s written notice of illness or injury that kept the gymnast from competing on all four events at the State Meet.
- At least one week before the Regional meet, we will need a physician’s release to competition. Sometimes the physician will write the release date on the first written notice and sometimes will not. If the physician just states that the gymnast was unable to compete, the release must be sent one week before the competition.
- If you do not get a response from me within 3 days of submission, please contact me again. I may not have received it for some reason.
Thanks and good luck!
Hilary Carlson, Petition Chair
Address: 328 Briarwood Ln., Bloomingdale, IL 60108